The Board meets on the first and third Monday of each month. Meetings begin at 1:00 p.m. and are held in the department conference room at 65 Lafayette Ave, Littleton. Board meetings are open to the public and time is allotted for public comments at each meeting.
The regularly scheduled Board of Commissioners (BOC) meeting began at 1:00 p.m. on June 4, 2018 in the Littleton Water and Light (LWL) conference room. Present were Commissioner Ralph Ross, Commissioner Peter Cooper, Commissioner Schuyler Sweet, Financial Director Cheryl Wilkins, and Superintendent Thomas Considine.
The minutes of the May 21, 2018 regularly scheduled Commissioners meeting were reviewed. Commissioner Cooper made a motion to accept the minutes as presented, seconded by Commissioner Sweet.
The vote was in favor of the motion 2-0-1. Commissioner Ross abstained from the vote as he was not present for the meeting on May 21, 2018.
FINANCIAL DIRECTORS REPORT:
1. Mrs. Wilkins reviewed the highlights of the financial statements for the month ended March 2018 with the Commissioners. Several variances as compared to budget were discussed and explained by Mrs. Wilkins.
Commissioner Ross commented that it appears that the electric department is not recovering and the short fall seems to be trending downward. Before the deficit get too large to recover LWL may need to look into cutting some operational programs and a rate adjustment may be required.
2. Mrs. Wilkins highlighted her comments made during the previous meeting for Commissioner Ross with regard to the year-end auditorís comments. The auditor suggested tighter control on credit card purchases at local stores (who is authorizing the purchase) and payroll authorization (need an official initial on employee timesheets). Both suggestions were discussed and accepted by LWL management and additional controls were implemented.
The BOC agreed that the overall auditorís opinion was very favorable with good fiscal control measures in place. Following some additional discussion Commissioner Sweet made a motion to accept the Independent Auditorís Report as presented, seconded by Commissioner Cooper.
Vote was in favor of the motion 3-0-0.
SUPERINTENDENT/ GENERAL MANAGERS REPORT:
1. The BOC was briefed in regard to the status of the River District Revitalization Project that recently received a notice of proceed and the Sub Area 5 sanitation project that is still pending.
2. Trans Alta Energy recently prequalified and entered into and wholesale power supply agreement with LWL and will most likely participate in future LWL power supply Request for Proposals. The addition of Trans Alta Energy is will further diversify LWL power supply portfolio.
3. There is a planned meeting on June 12, 2018 at the Gale River South Branch Dam to review the site with the parties interesting in removing the dam and restoring the river to its nature condition. Schedule are still be coordinated so that as many parties as possible are involved.
Following some general discussion no other business was discussed.
Commissioner Cooper made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by
The vote was in favor of the motion 3-0-0.
Meeting adjourned at 1:55 p.m.
The regularly scheduled Commissionerís meeting is held twice monthly on the first and third Monday, at 1:00 p.m., in the Departmentís conference room.